A gathering of friends


Last night was great. I attended a mini high school reunion at a friend's home.  My friends and I recently had a reunion with the entire class but of course you can't really catch up with everyone in a function hall atmosphere.  So some of us vowed to get together after the holidays for a more intimate evening.

We had such fun.  The dress was casual and we all gathered in a cozy living room to have drinks and appetizers. The conversation was easy as we caught up with each other's lives.

For hours, we talked about books, love, diets, aging parents, careers, our homes, hopes and dreams. We started out as one group with a single conversation and then broke into smaller groups as some of us went into the kitchen where side conversations emerged.

It was midnight before I noticed the clock. We had been talking for 4 1/2 hours! I paused for a moment and watched my high school friends engaged in conversation. I realized how lucky I am to be a part of this amazing group of intelligent, attractive, joyful women. 

We vowed to meet again this year.  We want to keep in touch after so many years apart.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How wonderful! My classmates all live a thousand miles away, but we do chat on Facebook a lot!
Great post...it sounds like you had a wonderful time! And yes, do get together again!

My classmates are far away. I did get in touch with an old bestie on Facebook {and I don't care much for Facebook!} and we have been emailing back and forth catching up. Funny, we each have changed so much yet I feel like I know her as well as 30 years ago! Time works in mysterious ways!

XO,
Jane
Diane DeSisto McCarthy said…
Elaine, I feel blessed to be a part of the group of women you describe so eloquently here. I absolutely love the Judy Blume quote and think it aptly describes what happened last night. I am really looking forward to this becoming a regular event!
Good morning Elaine!

That's the kind of reunion my HS girlfriend & I like to do at her home in my hometown. We gather the people that we want to be able to visit with in a casual environment with no pressures or pretenses. My friend Cindy is the perfect hostess and makes everyone feel so comfortable. It's so great that you have that same opportunity. Makes for an incredible experience!

Hugs, Sherry

PS Christmas has been taken down but my little lights will be working for me all year long! I love them! Thank you Sweetie!
I get together every August with my class and classes that were close in years with my own. It is so much fun to enjoy the evening once a year and when we do it is like no time has passed these past 40 years. I also get together with my closer girlfriends from high school at least a few times a year too...we have lunch or sometimes meet at one of our homes. Lots of fun and laughing. I am so grateful I have them in my life!~Hugs, Patti
Sounds like a lovely time. I haven't seen my high school friends in years.
Fete et Fleur said…
Happy New Year! What a lovely celebration of friendship. I hope you do make this a yearly event.

I have moved away from my hometown and it's so difficult to see my old high school friends. I'm hoping to attend my next high school reunion.

Nancy
That sounds like a wonderful, wonderful evening. How lovely that you got on so well.

I am still in contact with my school friends, and I love it when we meet up!

Sarahxx
That Janie Girl said…
Wow. That sounds like so much fun!

Popular Posts