A Summertime Ice Cream Social


Tonight I attended an ice cream social at the Colonel James Hartshorne House in Wakefield. I love to find local events that support an organization or a cause. It's great to see the community come together, seniors, children, dogs, enjoying a Summer night.


It doesn't get more charming than this historic property. Yes, part of the house is from 1681! Quintessential New England for sure!


Don't you just love the historic colors of the home? That red door really pops. I drive by it on my way to work every day.


There were plenty of volunteers to help out at tonight's social. I really appreciate their work and good spirit. It was quite hot and muggy out but at least there was a breeze.


Hmm, what shall I have? Chocolate? Oreo? Vanilla? Meletharb ice cream was generous in their donation for the event.


I went with the vanilla with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and sprinkles. I call the chocolate sprinkles jimmies because I'm from Massachusetts.


Here's the back of the house.  As you can see the event was well attended. $3.50 for an ice cream and if you brought an item for the local food pantry it was only $3.00. Win, win.


It was nice to sit with a lovely view of the gardens and the lake. I enjoyed my ice cream and didn't even mind when a passing shower came through.


I ran into some friends at the event. 


The flowers were in bloom. I guess all the rain and humidity we've had lately has helped.


Another view of the gardens.


The sun was illuminating these flowers. My cell phone camera did not do them justice.


Dogs were welcome too. This pup found a cool spot. Wonder if he/she had an ice cream?


As I headed back to my car I took a parting shot. 


The lake looked so peaceful tonight. Regrettably, I was too early for any sunset shots. 


The lake may be peaceful now, but after dusk, there will be the Thursday night movie by the lake and tonight ET is playing.

If you get the chance, visit Lake Quannapowitt and the Hartshorne House in Wakefield, Massachusetts.

Comments

Sheila said…
Looks like the perfect way to spend a hot evening.
This sounds like it was a wonderful day! I had no idea that Ice Cream Socials were still a thing, at least other than the South! Your pictures show how festive it was. I love that cute pup!

Jane

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the great feedback and the wonderful photos, Elaine!
Count Robot said…
nice. we were downtown at the beeb watching the jazz show.
artistswriter said…
What a great summertime memory! Many happy hours spent near Quannapowitt. It's such a beautiful lake. Nice to hear that word "muggy", too!! You don't hear that much anywhere else even though it is humid! It's quintessentially New England! And the jimmies! Yes! Thanks for all the memories. New England evenings are so lovely! Jane xo
YarnyDragonfly said…
I'm sorry I missed this! It looks like a fun event and I'll keep it in mind for next year.

Popular Posts