Appleton Farms- Farm to Table and more


Friday night I rushed home from work, fed the kitties, changed my clothes and picked up my sister at her house. I couldn't wait to head up to Ipswich, MA and Appleton Farms for their farm to table dinner.  As soon as we pulled into the entrance of the property, all the tensions of the day went away.


The weather was cool, a perfect temperature for outdoor dining, live music and lawn games. What a peaceful setting.

The sign said play & have fun. I did not know how much fun we really would have.


Here's a view from the field. The tables were ready outside and there were more inside the barn.


Fences and stone walls encircled the field and property. Hay bales were set up as seating for listening to the live entertainment for the evening.


The band was named The Austin Torpedoes. They were wonderful. We really enjoyed their performance.


Lemonade was available at a self serve station.
 
 
You could buy beer or wine from the Ipswich Ale Brewery Truck. Yes, the spiggots were right on the side of the vehicle!
 

Meet Billy the goat, he was so gentle with the children.


The kids played on the swings, petted the goats, played badminton and ran around the huge field.

,
Then it was time for dinner. The food was from Bambolina. The pizza was baked on a wood fired grill. Yay! I love a crunchy crust on my pizza.


I had never tried bacon butter before but now that I had it on a roll I am a fan.


Here's the evening's menu from Bambolina.

 
I loved watching the kids play and just be kids. This little girl was stylish.
 

I loved the rustic, casual atmosphere of the evening. It was a great way to unwind from the work week. Sitting in the open air, enjoying a delicious meal, listening to some fabulous music, and having fun with some of the kids.


 Here's the view from the inside of the barn looking out. We had dinner at community tables.


The goats and sheep had their own special area.


Here's my dinner. Appleton Farmer Pizza (roasted garlic cream, harvest vegetables, pecorino and mozzarella).The entrée was fire roasted chicken galantine with chard and ricotta stuffing, toasted orzo, ratatouille. and of course, that whipped bacon butter and a roll. For dessert, dark chocolate mousse with espresso jelly and cream.


We ate dinner with this couple.
 

And this is Benjamin. He was pretending to be a walrus. His little sister Morgan and twin Hadley joined us too. Their mother told us they attend the farm dinners often and the kids were going to farm camp at Appleton too.


Billy was taken for an after dinner walk.
 

We saw cows on the farm too.


There was a cow parade after dinner as the cows were herded to another section of the farm for the evening.


Here's the cow parade.


The band hardly took a break and kids and their parents danced to the music.
 

Oh, and here is a display I liked in the barn. I love riding boots and that trunk was fabulous!
 
So I am crossing my second item off my 2016 Summer Bucket List. I had a great time at Appleton Farms. Have a feeling I will be back.
 
 

Comments

Unknown said…
What a wonderful slice of Americana!
Anonymous said…
Uniquely entertaining!
How absolutely fun, Elaine! You really caught the essence of the whole experience in your photos! I loved the ale truck and also thought your meal, especially the chicken was quite interesting.

I'm looking for things to do in Asheville at the end of the month...something like this would be the best!!

Jane
Unknown said…
That looks like so much fun! This is something Alexis might like.
Marilyn Miller said…
I love farm to table events such as this. What a nice one to decompress the day and just enjoy with your sister.

Popular Posts