Skip to main content

Shoot and Style- an Edible Flower event


I saw a post on the Boston Bloggers Facebook page for an Edible Flower event. A shoot and style workshop from 9-12 on Saturday morning. Right away I knew I wanted to go. This was right up my alley. But then I talked myself out of it.

The location was the South End of Boston, a very trendy neighborhood. In my mind, I imagined there would be all those young, beautiful, fashion and beauty bloggers in attendance. I wouldn't fit in, I would be old enough to be their mother, I am not a successful blogger. What a pity party, right?


Well, I sucked it up and went to the event and I am so glad I did. I had such a great time.

We enjoyed rose scones and lavender lemonade mimosas and had a little meet and greet.


We learned how to set a beautiful tablescape using flowers and props. A professional photographer gave us tips on photography and styling  Each attendee was given time to photograph the tablescape.

 
The event was held at a gift shop called Olives and Grace. The storefront is simply gorgeous.
 
 
Well, I was right.  Those who attended the workshop were young and beautiful and there were beauty bloggers there. Despite our age difference, I was conversing with many of them. After all, we had a common interest in blogging, photography, styling and flowers.
 

Betty Liu, a wedding photographer and blogger at Le Jus d'Orange, told us to use a foot stool and to shoot over the table for our best shots.

Meg Dubina, blogger at Bread + Barrow, gave us tips on styling the table. She was also Betty's hand model as she held the tray of scones.


I think Meg has a future as a hand model don't you? She got quite the workout holding perfectly still for several minutes.


Sofi, owner of Olives and Grace, tried her hand at modeling too. She was wearing lavender nail polish so of course she made the perfect model for the shoot. I just love the joy on her face.


Luckily, the weather cooperated. It was the most perfect day for an outside event.


We were told it is a good idea to use cutting boards if you don't have a rustic table.


Later, we photographed ice cream made with edible flowers. How did they get that ice cream to melt so perfectly?



Oh my, strawberry hibiscus and cardamom rose ice cream. We also had white chocolate lavender ice cream.


Thank you Chloe from Scoopsies. I tasted two of the three flavors and they were phenomenal.

I read on Meg's blog that there will be more collaborations with Betty. I can't wait to see what they come up with!


Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wonderful event...great tips and lovely food! I am so glad that you went...and shared it with us! I adore your beautiful blog.
Laura Jenkins
Sheila said…
Looks like so much fun. Thanks for letting us in on it.
Caren Gittleman said…
the photos are gorgeous and I love the creativity involved. I would love to taste them!
Such a lovely event and that ice cream did melt perfectly! Thanks for sharing it with us! Hugs ~ Donna W.
Thank you Elaine!! What a wonderful coverage <3. And such kind words!! Meg and I are indeed putting together another event for this summer - will email you about it once it's out :)
curtis03 Lewis said…
Edible Flower event! Sounds quite interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing these photos here. Have been looking for such unique events at local event venue Chicago. Have couple of week’s free time and was thinking to take my kids to such events.

Popular posts from this blog

Appleton Farms- Farm to Table and more

Friday night I rushed home from work, fed the kitties, changed my clothes and picked up my sister at her house. I couldn't wait to head up to Ipswich, MA and Appleton Farms for their farm to table dinner.  As soon as we pulled into the entrance of the property, all the tensions of the day went away.


The weather was cool, a perfect temperature for outdoor dining, live music and lawn games. What a peaceful setting.

The sign said play & have fun. I did not know how much fun we really would have.


Here's a view from the field. The tables were ready outside and there were more inside the barn.


Fences and stone walls encircled the field and property. Hay bales were set up as seating for listening to the live entertainment for the evening.


The band was named The Austin Torpedoes. They were wonderful. We really enjoyed their performance.


Lemonade was available at a self serve station. You could buy beer or wine from the Ipswich Ale Brewery Truck. Yes, the spiggots were right on …

Summer Bucket List 2016

It's a little late in the season but I have finally created my Summer Bucket List. I don't have too much on it. I do reserve the right to add some events if something really cool comes up.

Here they are in no particular order:

1.  Hull Illumination Night- illumination of Hull Harbor, Hull, MA   7/30
2.  Fourth of July fireworks and parade- Wakefield, MA   7/4 Done
3.  Farm to Table dinner- Appleton Farms, Ipswich, MA  7/8  Done
4.  Daytrip to Brewster, MA and Susan Branch book signing   7/28 Done
5.  Lobster BLT @ Stonewall Kitchen, York, ME  9/1 Done
6.  Attend a Waterfire lighting, Providence, RI 7/23
7.  Play skeeball and view the fireworks at Hampton Beach, NH  July or August
8.  Melrose Summer Stroll- Melrose, MA 7/29 Done
9.  Rockport illumination night and fireworks- Rockport, MA  8/16
10. Dinner at the Colony Hotel at sunset- Kennebunkport, ME  August

I plan to post about these events as the Summer progresses. How about you? What's on your Summer Bucket List?

Embracing the season-my Autumn checklist

It's the most wonderful time of the year! I am speaking of my favorite season Fall. We are in the thick of it now and it is fabulous! It's not quite peak foliage but we are getting there.

Here are my reasons to embrace Fall.

1.  Outdoor dining- Those early Fall days are even better than in Summer. Cooler temps make it more comfortable sitting in the sun and the scene is more colorful. In late Fall, I switch to sitting by fireplaces whenever I can.







2. Old graveyards- I am strangely drawn to old graveyards in the Fall. Maybe it's because most graveyards have fantasticly colorful trees and I just notice them more in Fall. Or perhaps it's the Halloween connection.

We have some very old graveyards in New England and they are definitely worth a visit.
You could even take a historic graveyard or ghost tour. There is a graveyard tour in my hometown in two weeks.




3. An Autumn Walk- What's better than an Autumn walk around your neighborhood?

I love to pick up some colorful …