Skip to main content

Daytrip- York, Maine


On Sunday, my sister and I drove north to York, Maine to visit some friends.  Our friends always rent a cottage across from Nubble Light the last week of August and first week of September.


It was a beautiful day and we spent many hours outside just watching the waves and taking photos.
We of course had our annual group shot taken in front of Nubble Lighthouse.


Don took video and photos. We were happy as long as he didn't turn the cameras on us!


I did a lot of people watching.  This woman had a cool umbrella with daisies all over it.


There were lots of dogs there.


Lovers enjoyed the view.


More dogs walking on the rocks. I am sure they would rather be on the beach.


A lot of people were into hats too.


Could this be the makings of a Christmas Card?


Someone was feeding the gulls so they were hovering all afternoon.


Here's the cottage. I love that deck.  This is the deck where Percy was sitting when my friends arrived at the cottage last year.


And the back of the cottage.  You can see how close it is to the ocean.  Fabulous!


And you can also see how close it is to the lighthouse!


This year we were pleasantly surprised by the renovation of the kitchen.
The cottage looks so much more spacious!


Ooh, I love open shelving.  Everything looked so fresh and clean.


Don't you love the starfish hardware?


The day was ending and I used Don's tripod for this night shot.


I was waiting for the sky to change so I could photograph what I call
Nubble purple  The sky had a bit of pink in it but no Nubble purple.
So disappointing!



I consoled myself with a hot fudge sundae with peppermint stick ice cream from Brown's.  The end to a perfect day!

Comments

Kay Ellen said…
I wish I could get on a plane and come visit New England this week! I just love where you live!
What a fun place to visit, that light house looks amazing~~~

Have a great week Elaine :)

ox
Kay Ellen
I was also in Maine this weekend. York is lovely and that cottage is to die for.
Bridget said…
So lovely place, last picture is real highlight! :O)
That ice cream sounds so delish and one day I hope to visit Maine. Looks amazing!
Oooh, you lucky thing!! I wish I could pop over for a visit!

And that sounds like a fantastic consolation prize!!! I'm all for treats as compensation for disappointments!

Sarahx
Looks like you had a wonderful time in York! Great photos! I love the kitchen, and the starfish!

Ciao!
Mary

Popular posts from this blog

Appleton Farms- Farm to Table and more

Friday night I rushed home from work, fed the kitties, changed my clothes and picked up my sister at her house. I couldn't wait to head up to Ipswich, MA and Appleton Farms for their farm to table dinner.  As soon as we pulled into the entrance of the property, all the tensions of the day went away.


The weather was cool, a perfect temperature for outdoor dining, live music and lawn games. What a peaceful setting.

The sign said play & have fun. I did not know how much fun we really would have.


Here's a view from the field. The tables were ready outside and there were more inside the barn.


Fences and stone walls encircled the field and property. Hay bales were set up as seating for listening to the live entertainment for the evening.


The band was named The Austin Torpedoes. They were wonderful. We really enjoyed their performance.


Lemonade was available at a self serve station. You could buy beer or wine from the Ipswich Ale Brewery Truck. Yes, the spiggots were right on …

Summer Bucket List 2016

It's a little late in the season but I have finally created my Summer Bucket List. I don't have too much on it. I do reserve the right to add some events if something really cool comes up.

Here they are in no particular order:

1.  Hull Illumination Night- illumination of Hull Harbor, Hull, MA   7/30
2.  Fourth of July fireworks and parade- Wakefield, MA   7/4 Done
3.  Farm to Table dinner- Appleton Farms, Ipswich, MA  7/8  Done
4.  Daytrip to Brewster, MA and Susan Branch book signing   7/28 Done
5.  Lobster BLT @ Stonewall Kitchen, York, ME  9/1 Done
6.  Attend a Waterfire lighting, Providence, RI 7/23
7.  Play skeeball and view the fireworks at Hampton Beach, NH  July or August
8.  Melrose Summer Stroll- Melrose, MA 7/29 Done
9.  Rockport illumination night and fireworks- Rockport, MA  8/16
10. Dinner at the Colony Hotel at sunset- Kennebunkport, ME  August

I plan to post about these events as the Summer progresses. How about you? What's on your Summer Bucket List?

Embracing the season-my Autumn checklist

It's the most wonderful time of the year! I am speaking of my favorite season Fall. We are in the thick of it now and it is fabulous! It's not quite peak foliage but we are getting there.

Here are my reasons to embrace Fall.

1.  Outdoor dining- Those early Fall days are even better than in Summer. Cooler temps make it more comfortable sitting in the sun and the scene is more colorful. In late Fall, I switch to sitting by fireplaces whenever I can.







2. Old graveyards- I am strangely drawn to old graveyards in the Fall. Maybe it's because most graveyards have fantasticly colorful trees and I just notice them more in Fall. Or perhaps it's the Halloween connection.

We have some very old graveyards in New England and they are definitely worth a visit.
You could even take a historic graveyard or ghost tour. There is a graveyard tour in my hometown in two weeks.




3. An Autumn Walk- What's better than an Autumn walk around your neighborhood?

I love to pick up some colorful …