Impromptu Day Off




I was off from work yesterday. It was sort of unplanned. My boss mentioned that I should start taking my remaining 14 days of vacation since I can't carry them over to next year. So I decided

that Thursday's forecast looked good for leaf peeping and I started to make plans. None of my friends could take a day off on such short notice so I was on my own. I went to Pier One to check out some chairs for my new condo. I don't need them yet so I inquired about layaway. Only 10 days of free storage and I need about 30. I will have to think on that. On to Russell Farms which is just down the street.





The pumpkins were displayed outside Russell Farm in Woburn. It's very picturesque with all the flowers and colorful produce. I took some photos (note the pumpkins above) and moved on.





I headed to the Whiffle Tree Candle Company in Billerica. The property is gorgeous and during peak foliage the colors are spectacular. Yesterday, there was some color but not peak. Before I arrived at the Whiffle Tree, I stopped for lunch at the cutest coffee shop/cafe called the Coffee Emporium. I ordered a half sandwich of chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts and an iced coffee. Did you see the size of that half sandwich? I wondered how many people thought I'd lost my marbles as I photographed my sandwich. Anyway, I brought some magazines, catalogs, and a book with me to read and I had a relaxing lunch. The book was the French-Inspired Home by Kaari Meng. I love that book. I'm getting some good ideas for the condo.





Here's the inside of the coffee shop. Isn't it cute?







And the outside of the Coffee Emporium. I like that word Emporium, don't you? It reminds me of gentler times. Did they have one in the movie, It's a Wonderful Life? Or was that a mercantile? I like that word too.



I finally made it to the Whiffle Tree. I took photos of everything. So much nature to capture through my lens- leaves, rocks, moss, light, water, quaint buildings, covered bridges. I took at least 100 photos. It was too much fun!




My last stop was at Mahoney's Garden Center and Farm Stand in Winchester. I bought some mini pumpkins, white ones and orange too. I also bought some desserts for later. Mahoney's has a very cool shop. They sell Christmas decorations all year round I found some really cute things but I did not buy them. Have to keep to that condo budget!



I have to say sometimes Impromptu Days Off can be quite satisfying. And I have 13 more days to go. Can't wait to schedule the next one! Don't worry, I'll take all of you with me!



Comments

Salmagundi said…
So nice that you had an unexpected day off. Sometimes those are the best, as we don't overplan everything. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. BTW, when do we get to see some more of those 100 photos of Fall in New England? Sally
Bristol said…
What a wonderful unexpected day off~
Bristol
Yarni Gras! said…
what a wonderful day you had! Enjoy the other 13 too!

Popular Posts